World Traders gathered at Painter’s Hall in the City for their annual Members’ Dinner, an opportunity to meet without a wider list of guests and to get to know each other better.
The Painters’ Hall is a splendid location which has existed on the same site since 1532, unfortunately requiring two reconstructions: the first after the Great Fire of London in 1666 and the second after the Second World War in 1941. The Painters’ Company is a very old Livery institution which draws its history from the craftsmen who decorated, gilded and coloured solid objects such as wood, metal and stone. The reputation of the Company was enhanced by gaining a reputation for portraiture, exemplified by a painting of King Richard II in Westminster Abbey from 1394 which is attributed to Gilbert Prince, one of its members.
In this historic and beautiful location, the World Traders were delighted to welcome four Freemen and one Journeyman, also clothing four existing Freemen as Liverymen. A new Court Assistant was admitted to the Court.
Dinner was delicious – a course of charcuterie followed by roast guineafowl – and members were invited to move tables before pudding. The dinner ended with a splendid live performance by five talented students from Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts – oh to be so young and so talented! We’re looking forward to seeing them in the West End very soon.